Thursday, April 28, 2005

So, it's come to this....

A blog.

Sheesh.

One surefire way that an IT "professional" can tell that he's getting old is to dismiss a useful new technology or process without ever having tried to use it himself.

So, blogs are stupid and I'm getting old.

I suppose the real issue is that I've been doing this stuff ("computers," as we used to call them) for so long that I completely missed the social aspects of it all.

In MY day (here it comes), computers weren't networked and you used them all by yourself, or with your buddy looking over your shoulder. And the room was ALWAYS dark. Even the user group meetings took place in basements and other dark, dank locations.

Then, when the Internet came along, all I could see were $$ and the potential applications for business. (My business specifically. I used to publish GS+ Magazine. Which was open-source before we even knew what that was.)

I completely failed to notice that there were children being born and actually growing up surrounded by the Internet. The thought that some of them might grow up and be smart, and actually contribute new ideas to the Internet..... crazy talk. They can't even wipe themselves!

And then I had kids.

Ah, my kids.

Some days, I'm convinced that my little geniuses will unify all the forces of nature in a single theory, which will be called "Princess-Snake Unified Field Theory". String theorist Brian Greene will be dismissed as a "poopy head" and people around the world will say, "Einstein Who?"

Other times, I fear that I'll still be helping them wipe their butts when they turn 35.

My worst fear is that some horrid combination of these two scenarios will come to pass....

"Hey Dad! Thanks for coming to CERN! I've just discovered the super-symetric partner to the graviton! But, before I show you the data, could you help me wipe my butt?"

Yes. Kids are stupid. And Blogs are stupid.

And now I have both.

Diz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home